zzdcar
Home
/
Reviews
/
Racing
/
Rumor: Could The Red Bull F1 Team Switch To Honda Power Next Year?
Rumor: Could The Red Bull F1 Team Switch To Honda Power Next Year?-August 2024
2024-02-19 EST 22:11:37

The Red Bull Formula One team hasn’t had much luck in their quest to ditch their after this year. Now they’re being linked to an engine manufacturer whose cars have been even slower than the Renaults this year: Honda.

Yesterday, Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo said that he was confident he would be driving next year in a at Circuit of the Americas, despite Red Bull’s the sport:

Not much has changed to be honest. Yeah, we’re still not really confirmed with anything yet. From my side I’m still confident I’ll be racing. Confident we’ll be there, hopefully competitive. I think that’s more the concern. I have confidence we’ll be on the grid it’s just the concern is can we be competitive? I want to make sure we can be. This year, obviously we have got a couple of podiums, which is nice, but certainly not enough to keep us extremely happy. So, yeah, we want to be competitive again and I think that’s just as important as being on the grid.

Today, reports that there are rumors linking Red Bull to Honda, despite Honda previously saying that they would not provide customer engines in 2016. A Honda spokeswoman told Motorsport.com:

As [Honda chief officer of motorsport Yasuhisa Arai] has said, Honda has no plans of supplying a second team next year, and this has not changed.

As Honda have always said since returning to Formula 1, we are open to supplying additional teams in the near future.

However, as it is very late in the 2015 calendar year to make such decisions, it is unlikely that we will be supplying any other teams for the 2016 season.

The combination of a new power unit and a new chassis will require additional development from both parties.

Honda would need to seek the approval of current F1 partner McLaren before they could offer to supply Red Bull. Unfortunately for Ricciardo and all the others who yearn for a competitive Red Bull, Honda has struggled to develop a competitive power unit for McLaren this year. However, they have only been working with McLaren’s two cars data in developing the power unit, and Motorsport.com points out that working with more cars could give Honda the proper feedback to get that power unit up to par.

Honda made some progress in their latest upgrade, however, they’re still off pace compared to the others. However, with Ferrari and Mercedes refusing to supply Red Bull with power units in 2016 and a feud with Renault so bad that Red Bull is likely to this weekend, Honda is the only option left.

Motorsport.com suggests that Red Bull could enlist F1 head honcho Bernie Ecclestone to help convince Honda to supply them with power units next year. Sister team Scuderia Toro Rosso is still rumored to be taking on Ferrari power units next year in place of their Renaults.

Contact the author at .

Comments
Welcome to zzdcar comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Racing
Weekend Motorsports Roundup, Sept. 26-27, 2015
Weekend Motorsports Roundup, Sept. 26-27, 2015
Welcome to the Jalopnik , where we let you know what’s going on in the world of racing, where you can see it, and where you can talk about it all in one convenient place. Where else would you want to spend your weekend? There is plenty going on, so...
Aug 28, 2025
Jenson Button Still Hasn't Announced Squat About Retiring (Or Not) From F1
Jenson Button Still Hasn't Announced Squat About Retiring (Or Not) From F1
Contrary to that McLaren Honda driver Jenson Button was certainly announcing his retirement from Formula One ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix, we’ve heard nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nope. Not a peep about Jenson’s future. Not even about his post-race dinner plans. Noooooope. On Friday, McLaren chief operating operating officer...
Aug 28, 2025
McLaren Boss Ron Dennis Says Both Alonso And Button Will Return For 2016
McLaren Boss Ron Dennis Says Both Alonso And Button Will Return For 2016
McLaren Formula One team boss Ron Dennis just dropped a bomb on British broadcaster Martin Brundle after the Japanese Grand Prix. When Brundle asked, “Are [Jenson] Button and [Fernando] Alonso in your primary two cars next year?” on the broadcast, Dennis responded “Yes!” It took a little while for Brundle...
Aug 28, 2025
Formula One's Nico Rosberg Would Like To Show You His Balls Of Steel
Formula One's Nico Rosberg Would Like To Show You His Balls Of Steel
Silver Arrows? Perhaps Silver Huevos is a better name. Here’s Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg outbraking Williams’ Valtteri Bottas at the chicane during today’s Formula One Japanese Grand Prix. You’re welcome. Rosberg started on pole, but was also receiving a pretty intense shoulder massage right before the start of the race. Perhaps...
Aug 28, 2025
Taking Out The Pit Entry Cone = Ten Points (And A New Front Wing)
Taking Out The Pit Entry Cone = Ten Points (And A New Front Wing)
Poor Carlos Sainz Jr. Not only did he whack into the pit entry cone as he pulled into the pits, but he locked up his tires trying to slow down down to pit lane speed in time. This looked like the worst last minute pit call ever, but the upside...
Aug 28, 2025
Alexander Rossi Speeds Past F1 Teammate's Smoky Drift On The Wings Of A Bald Eagle
Alexander Rossi Speeds Past F1 Teammate's Smoky Drift On The Wings Of A Bald Eagle
I know that’s not what literally happened here, but it’s been so long since we’ve had an American in Formula One — indulge me, okay? Look at this pass and tell me that the Statue of Liberty herself isn’t weeping as we speak. It’s beautiful. Rossi’s Manor Marussia teammate Will...
Aug 28, 2025
Copyright 2023-2025 - www.zzdcar.com All Rights Reserved